Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Thinking Ramble

I'm not sure what to think or do right now. Doug is still alive, doing slightly better than yesterday evening, but not by much. I have decided to switch him from the breastmilk to scalded milk, we began this morning so we will see... He's not eating much, stops after a mere 2ccs, looks incredibly dehydrated, didn't pee or poop just now when I fed him... I just don't know.

Do I keep going and hope he improves?
Do I contact Dr A and ask him to PTS?
Do I contact a rehabber and be done with it all?


My gut tells me to keep going. It isn't in me to shirk the responsibility of caring for an animal. I am not good with PTS decisions, heck, I'm barely decent at handling the situation at all. You have no idea how many tears I have shed while holding a pet being euthed. (Except for that one that bit me with it's last bit of strength, but honestly in the condition it was in that was the best thing... sad considering it was a beautiful dog in it's time.)

So for now we trudge on. Pinky is still helping with D's care, he feeds him in the morning and at night while I'm with R. I will still do what I can for him but I will continue to avoid formula if I can. I need to go pick up some whole milk this evening. I'm not hoping for or thinking anything. I'm just letting it be, whatever happens, happens, and is supposed to happen (but doesn't mean I won't be wracked with guilt and full of what if's...).

So we wait.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... I hope he does better. I don't know about cows milk, as I know it will kill a rabbit. I unfortunately tried to help two orphan rabbits when their nest was destroyed by rabbits, and they did o'kay at first, and then they died, as I was feeding cows milk. I'd suggest contacting a wildlife place, and see if they can help. You wouldn't be giving up on him... just giving him another shot. I wish you both the best.

    And I understand the PTS problem now... I can't tell you how much pain I feel over Jacub.

    ReplyDelete